Derrycrag Holy Well
From the Millennium Forests
Derrygill Woodland Site, County Galway; Archaeological Report
Description The site is not named or marked on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map (1838-1839) but is marked and appears on the 3rd edition Ordnance Survey map (1914-1948) as "Holy Well". Access is gained via a path from the road north of the wood. The site is situated in hilly woodland in a small clearing. The wood is an old oak wood. The site consists of a holy well still in use. The place is dedicated to Our Lady. A small drystone roughly built sub-circular well (c.1m in diameter), which is now dry, has four stone steps leading down to it. It is 1m deep and is now filled with dead vegetation. A few yards to the north-east of this a small stone cairn on which stands a little wooden press with flowers and a statue in it. Some leaflets in the press have interesting facts about "sins of the flesh", what ever they are. Old rags and many beads hang on a nearby tree while vessels left around the place are probably used for taking or drinking the holy water from the well. The site is in good condition.